Offering our time and love can be the best gifts–and making a special “coupon book” for someone is a great way to share them. It’s easy, free, super-thoughtful and very cool!
- + 2 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper (printer or recycled)
- + 1 sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 heavy-weight paper like cover stock
- + scissors
- + pencil
- + ruler
- + stapler or a ribbon and hole-punch
- + stuff to decorate with: glitter pens, markers, stickers, fun bits of paper–whatever you like!
Step 1: Think about the person you are making the coupon book for–what would he or she appreciate most? Here are some ideas to get you started…
- Ideas for Grown-ups:
- House-cleaning, garden or kitchen helper.
- Clean out the car.
- Help bring in the groceries and put them away.
- Make a meal or favorite dessert.
- Walk the dog, feed pets or water plants.
- A big hug is always good!
- Ideas for Siblings:
- Help with a chore.
- Read aloud to them.
- Prepare a fave snack.
- Watch a movie with them.
- A fun project they would like – make something together!
- Playing a favorite game.
Write down your ideas and pick some favorites. Each of these will become a coupon.
Step 2: Make the Coupons. Here are a couple of ways to do this:
1. Use FGA Template – We’ve created a sheet you can print out and use to make your coupons. Print it out here, then cut along the light pink lines. You’ll get 3 coupons per sheet.
2. Make your Own – Reuse pages from old school assignments, drawings, doodles, back of junk mail, etc. Use a ruler and pencil to measure a 1 inch margin on all sides of an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. Take the inside “rectangle” and mark it into 3 inch strips. Then, cut off only one of the 1 inch margins from the end and leave the other end alone. This will be the end you use to bind your book.
Step 3: Make the book. Get your sheet of cover stock. Measure and cut out two stips a little larger than the width of your coupons (should end up 8 1/2″ long and a teeny bit over 3 inches wide.) Mark both with a line 1″ from one end. Fold over the 1″ piece on one strip – this is your back cover. Cut off the 1″ piece on the other – this is now your front cover.
Step 4: Put it all together. Stack the coupons and place them on the back cover, sliding the stack under the fold. Slip the front cover under the fold and line it all up. Use a clip to hold the book together. Staple the book along the fold, or use a hole-pcnch to make two holes and run a ribbon or cord through.
Step 5: Decorate inside and out! Gently bend back the cover and fill in your coupons. Write your “gift” on each and decorate with fancy letters, drawings, stickers, etc. When you are done on the inside, decorate the cover with the person’s name. Tip: Let each page dry (ink, glue) before moving on to the next one, so your stuff doesn’t smear or stick.
Step 6: Give your gift! Nice for all occasions…hang your coupon book on the Christmas Tree, wrap it up in a piece of tissue paper (recycled, of course!), make a special envelope…no matter how or when you give it, we promise the person receiving it will LOVE it!